Thursday, August 21, 2008

Days in Hell: the Job

Ok, so I've been tired of this job for a long time. I tried to leave a couple of years ago, got another job I pretty well liked that was an adjunct to this department, then about a year ago, they decided to let that department "go." So I begged for this job back. I believe I may have made a mistake. When I "came back" I realized just how much I hate this place. I have tolerated it for a year. I have gone back to school and work is paying for the majority of the school (less the textbooks and miscellaneous fees) so I really want to keep working for the company. But, the straw is breaking this camel's back. We launched a new claim system 4 days ago. It sucks. It has lots of issues. It is NOT easier to use than the prior 30 year old main frame based (Cobol based) system. It is more complex. It takes 10 times longer to do anything. Everyone is at their wits end here and we are all being told to be "positive" about it. I think that's wrong. Examiners have huge caseloads and they are just getting more behind because now something that used to take 5 minutes is taking an hour. I am sure there will be some improvement as we become more proficient with the system, but some things are just inexcuseable. And here's the funny thing, the management knows it sucks and they keep feeding us "treat" food. . .to make us feel better. So pretty soon we will all be 10 pounds heavier and depressed! Way to go.

No comments: